someone asked me recently whom i considered as my personal style icons.
fun game, right?
but i was seriously stumped.
it's like when anyone asked me who i wanted to play me in the movie of my life,
i was always stumped, until i came up with "christina ricci" as my answer,
whereupon everyone would go, "christina ricc . . . ohhhh yeah. now i see it."
but style icon, that's harder for me. so i came up with some rules.
an icon has to be someone whom:
1) looks great in every picture you see of them, regardless of where they are,
2) chooses clothing that sets them apart, and is truly distinctive,
3) remains consistent in those choices over a period of time,
4) commits to fashion, and enjoys it,
5) makes you want to replicate their look, down to the critical details.
there. landis' five fashion icon laws.
that out of the way, i got stuck in WHO might actually fit that. and the field narrowed rapidly.
i've come up with three.
Hidetoshi Nakatawa. he's like the japanese david beckham,
only in a way that makes me go "yes, please!" not "oh, interesting . . ."
he clearly enjoys clothing, attending fashion shows and endless parties.
and he somehow straddles the whole masculine/feminine thing
with a slight edge of the dominatrix. i love that.
witness, my friends,
icon number one:
doesn't hurt that he's more than a little dreamy . . . non?
no, it don't.